Hand Pulled Prints, Books, Drawings and More


Saturday, October 16, 2010

Book Arts and Printmaking

If  you weren't aware - I LOVE books. When I realized it was possible to combine my love for books with my passion for art things got exciting for me very quickly. Lately I have been teaching book-making classes at Oxbow Press. It's quite different being a teacher, I enjoy being able to pass on my skills to enthusiastic learners and the process is quite fun.

 The books and box I made with techniques I learned at the Black Rock Press with Katy Govan and Bob Blesse, the framed print is a four color etching of my kitty in a window.

There are many different avenues to explore in the realm of book-making. Many artists focus on one part of the book, such as the binding, the enclosure, the cover paper (or cloth) or the text block. My art books are usually focused on content. A book full of empty pages says many things to me, it speaks of potential, of opportunity, but also of lack. If I make an "art" book their pages include images, story, or more.


These are books I have made with Katy Govan as well as my first two book arts groups. 

The process of making a book is exact, precise and structured. Because traditional book-making is in sharp contrast to my usual methods I find that it can be a great way to focus and relax simultaneously. There are many avenues through which I can make my mark on the book, but at a certain point it all comes down to the process. Tomorrow will be the last class in my book-making series, we will be making multiple signature hard-bound books. Stay tuned for further pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment