Hand Pulled Prints, Books, Drawings and More


Thursday, September 15, 2011

Procrastination is NOT your friend!

Plans are always subject to change.  This fact will not change for Hell, high-water or a different definition of Earthly physics.  Even if you thrive on deadlines and early morning trips to the post office it is always a good idea to have a contingency or three for when your plans list lazily, or ferociously, to the left.  Organization can be a struggle for me given that I have an abhorrent memory.  To combat this defect I write down just about everything that comes my way.  Whether it's info about the next show I can participate in or what time my cat needs to take his medicine most of my life is held within the little pages of my daily journal.
On rare occasion I find myself slightly more organized that usually forecasted, as in the case with the La Calacas International Print Exchange.  I had just finished my IPE edition and was itching for another exchange, something with an attractive theme, a small edition size, and a deadline of a month or so.  All I wanted and more was in La Calacas, not only was it a skull/Dia de los Muertos theme but it was scheduled to travel to Nicaragua! I paid my fee, started etching a plate and was able to send my prints off in a timely manner. This afternoon I received an email from Carlos Barberena, the organizer of the exchange and a printmaker from Granada, letting me know that my prints arrived safe, sound, and on time!

Hark! What great news! It almost never happened.
Due to schedule changes and family obligations I had to alter my original plans of when to print. Luckily I had given myself a week of wiggle time to work on my plate, change my mind and more. Because I had begun my plate and printing process almost eight days early I was able to submit to this fantastic exchange. Please go check out the photos and look at the lovely work submitted by other artists from all around the world including Nicaragua, the U.S. and Mexico.

Also look out for the InkHeads - the printmaking group based at my alma mater and trying to make their way to the national printmaking convention, Southern Graphics Conference International. I am lucky to be showing with them this October during their fundraiser show.

No comments:

Post a Comment