Hand Pulled Prints, Books, Drawings and More


Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Not everyone has former students of their father come up to them and ask "So was he, like, a spy or something?" when they realize who, exactly, your father is. To me this is not uncommon. No, my father has never been involved in espionage. He did speak Russian, and he did work for the government during the late 1980's and 1990's writing about communist countries like the U.S.S.R. and China for congress.

Phillip Kaiser, amazing educator/my dad

But what's more important is that now he uses that knowledge to teach young people about their own potential to influence their country through government. He is a high school teacher. I was very proud to find my dad's picture and an article about his experiences working for the U.S. Government in the local Reno News & Review today. He, Phillip, and my mother, Susan, have always held education in the highest esteem and passed their love of it to me. If all I can do to repay them, for how they have helped me throughout this life, is say "thank you" then here it is - thanks for being wonderful, ethical, passionate people and raising me to be the same. I am very lucky to have such supportive and intelligent people for parents. Their stories give me the inspiration to follow my dreams and the conviction to believe in my own mind and opinions.

2 comments:

  1. They must be very proud of you Rachel! Thanks for sharing a little of their story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy! And yes, I'd love to know what kind of images you get from the Calaca exchange - can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete