Hand Pulled Prints, Books, Drawings and More


Sunday, April 17, 2011

Little Books, the NMA, and Ravioli for Easter

The Teaching Table with examples, my sign, and my board!
The Nevada Museum of Art is a great resource for the local community. Gaining national and international recognition by facilitating exhibits of famous artists including Raphael, Pablo Picasso, Ansel Adams, John Audobon, and many more as well as up-and-coming artists the NMA also provides classes through the E.L. Cord Museum school. Teachers independently contract with the school to teach workshops and classes, like life drawing, watercolors, and ceramics. This June there will be an Egyptian exhibit coming to the NMA from the Brooklyn Museum of Art and inspired by that I will be teaching a workshop called Carve a Cartouche! We will learn about heiroglyphics and cartouches, maybe get some inspiration from the exhibit then carve cartouches, a pictographic representation of one's name, for ourselves or someone else with basic relief techniques.
the block and my woodcutting tool kit
Wearing my Oxbow Press shirt at the NMA
There was a "Meet the Teachers" night at the Museum on Thursday,  and I brought a wood-cut I've been working on to demonstrate a relief substrate. This block is the center of a 9 piece exquisite corpse. Originating with the surrealists, the exquisite corpse is the concept of several artists working together to create one image but without seeing the art of the others who are involved. For this project I was given a board with several black lines, I knew I had to keep those lines but I could do anything else I wanted within or outside them. When we all fit our boards together at the end it made a very large bee! We had to use a truck to print it because the image all together was about 4'x6' - too large for any press to which we have access.


recycled materials now tiny books!
archival tiny books!












The Indie Reno train is rolling out of Fair station on the super fast crafting track! Today the Handmade Hustlers had a great meeting and made sure everyone participating was well informed. We learned about how the cashier and receipts will work (the VSA is taking care of sales tax and credit card fees for us!) and where we will each be located in the Lake Mansion or at the Pavilion next to the Mansion. Find out more about the Indie Reno Craft fair at the website or the facebook page.

Ravioli my family and I made for Easter!
I get the library! This is very exciting, but also daunting. In order to fill an entire room with my merchandise I'm going to... need more merchandise! The next couple of weeks will be packed to the brim with crafting for Rachel-Fingers. Add Easter and the Rocky Mountain Printmaking Alliance Symposium to the mix and we have one chunky time-management cookie. Somehow I will manage, I just need to print cards and journal covers while finding the time to bind said journals, finish my coptic books, and cut the cards to fit in the envelopes I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment