Hand Pulled Prints, Books, Drawings and More


Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Solo Show

Well it's certainly been long enough! I must admit the holidays hit me like a tonne of bricks and it's taken awhile to sift through the rubble. Gleaning the repairable bits, and  friendship with the amazing Alana Berglund, has landed me a solo show at the Sierra Tap House in downtown Reno, Nevada.

a sneak preview!
Belt and Braces: A Print Show
Art by Rachel Kaiser
at the Sierra Tap House
253 West 1st Street  Reno

Reception 
6pm-9pm
Thursday, February 16th

 
Meet me in person, drink great beer, and see my work. Warning, this art will feature skeletons. I know that comes as a huge surprise to those of you who've been reading my blog since last summer. This show I'm taking as a turning point in my artistic focus. I became heavily entrenched in concepts of validation and subject matter. Those concerns moved me to a very tenuous place and I've decided, both consciously and subconsciously, that I can no longer afford to invest myself so thoroughly in what other people take seriously. Belt and Braces is about letting go, yes the title is ironic and the subject matter is a little too. Anatomy, skeletons, and the idea of copying and reproducing have been present while I dealt with many different issues last year. The concept of building blocks -  upon those slim bones are hung the rest of your body and soul - and the idea of fundamentals - it all goes back to anatomy - are things I needed to work on, they are things in which I still find comfort. 

The time for comfort has passed.

There will be no resolution written here, nor any insubstantial fluff about my commitment to improving my work. Instead I will write simply that I aim to produce. What is the result of my production may be uncanny, childlike, serious, or macabre but it won't really matter if it doesn't jive. Perhaps that's the nature of my work - things trying desperately to fit together, trying so hard that they are making their own adhesive out of hair and using friction to stimulate a melting of the pieces that won't fit. We'll have to see, for now - skeletons!

No comments:

Post a Comment